Ramona (ann15warsaw72) wrote,

I miss my LJ, part II

Edited 4/25/2008 at 9:57pm

Oh we are so short-handed at work; the morning shift has been down approximately 5 directors: a spot that was vacated by a firing last summer that never got filled; a guy that quit recently; one has been very extremely sick the past 2 weeks; one who had a heart attack earlier this week; and another whose aunt died. Anyway, long story short, the slack falls on the evening directors and people's days off to pick up. Yesterday I directed three hour-long shows: ABC 6am, ABC 10am, and NBC 4pm, with no sleep in-between. I'm making a note of this so I can come back to it for the occasional ego-stroking, because let me tell you this was no small feat to pull off. I did all that yesterday on 1 hour of sleep that I stole after my regular shift the night before. Ridiculous; that's all anyone does, we shake our heads and mutter, "Ridiculous." It really feels like Bob (our boss) has cut off his nose to spite OUR faces, because all the long hours we pull is mainly to cover his butt for not hiring people in order to keep this from happening.

As it is, right now I'm preparing to work a full-length shift beginning at around 4am, and after that I'll work the first half of my normal night shift from 3pm to about 7pm.

Ridiculous, yes.

Well I did it. I pulled it off: 2 back-to-back 15-hour days, with around 5 hours of sleep in-between. I feel very accomplished. Now that I'm at home relaxing, knowing I'm not going to get called in to work tomorrow morning, knowing that I don't have to report to work until 2:45 tomorrow afternoon, I'm indulging in looking back and admiring what I accomplished. I can do this because I know all my efforts have afforded me the luxury of being OFF Bob's radar - and that is priceless.

That being said, in no way do I wish to make a habit of the long haul I pulled off the last couple days. I was fine once I was at work and engaged, but it took it's toll on my body processes almost immediately in the form of headaches, nausea, diarrhea, and worse focus than normal. The headache, nausea and diarrhea were temporary; I feel A-O-K now. But it was enough to let me know this is not something I want to make a habit of.

I just hope Bob and Jeff realize this too. They were pulling long haul too, longer haul than me really. But yeah, there is definitely a benefit to picking up the slack like that: people tend to leave you alone, which is how I work best. I still gave some of my best work on all the shows I did this week, no less than I would have given on my normal 8-hour shift. And I didn't go around with a lousy attitude, I didn't make any sort of a big deal about the long hours I was working.

And people noticed, yes they did. Funny how that works...
Tags: personal:work

  • Words to live by

    "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything…

  • Update on the amaryllis

    First of all - sorry for the outrageous size on the pictures below! Sure it shows some wicked good detail, but at what cost to the quality of this…

  • Gardening Zen

    I am so intrigued by the prospect of making my amaryllis plant produce blooms again. When I unearthed it from the pot it's been sitting in all these…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded